Survival story..... the first phase
This is something that has been written on my heart by our Creator for awhile now and because the rain is coming down in buckets, my gardening skills have been put on hold. I now have time to share this very important information with you. My intention is not to scare you, or make you nervous. I want you to take this information and do with it as you please. My hope is that you will work to prepare your family. We live in uncertain times, things are very shaky to say the least. It is very important that you ready yourself, so hear we go......emergency preparedness farm girl style...
Your living conditions...do you live in a big city or a small town? Rural or urban? Do you know and trust you neighbors? So many people live in city's now, more that ever before in history. So what happens in a disaster ?(hurricane Katrina) If there was no electricity would you trust your neighbors if they had no food, water or heat? My advice (not that it matters) get out of the city.... if you can't, get to know your neighbors so you know who you can trust and make a plan.
-extra gas if you have to leave
-emergency route if main road ways are closed
-ready bag with food, water, clothes, matches, meds and cash (for your car)
-think about self defence, what if someone tried to hurt you or your family because you had something they wanted? Think about it!
If you can't leave, secure your home and make sure you have.......
1. FOOD... during a disaster food is the first thing to disappear..
Have at least a months food supply stocked up, it doesn't have to be hard or break the bank.
EVERY time you go to the market but extra, even if it's just one can of black beans you will be loving those beans if you have nothing else. Winco (Oregon grocery store) sells brown rice in 25lb bags for 13.00 I buy one every month as part of my emergency kit. Buy seeds and LEARN TO GROW YOU OWN FOOD! I can't say this enough, learn to forage, read about wild foods. Learn to can or dry your food.
2.WATER... even more important then food. If you have a well with a hand pump..GREAT! I'm blessed to have a well and we are in the process of getting a hand pump. If your on city water, PLEASE make sure you have plenty of extra water stored! I use my old juice jugs and fill them with water. Have a camping water filter so you can make sure your drinking clean water and remember you can boil your water to purify it. Start small, pick up one extra case a month of water or fill up old jugs with water. Your recycling and stocking up all at the same time!
3. LIGHT....my family has way to many head lamps. We have one for every member of the family. If there is NO electricity there very handy. Candles are a must. Buy matches or lighters every time you go to wal-mart. A lighter is also something you can barter with because in a disaster bartering will be the new way of doing business.
4. Battery's...get them
5. A.M Radio....hand crank or battery operated
6. Generator.. to run your fridge or for me, my freezers, they are full of food. This is an investment but you will be very happy you have it in a time of a disaster.
7. Heat..if you don't have an alternative heat source and the power goes out what are you going to do? A wood stove or fireplace is the answer. Be sure you have lots of extra wood. Old pallets are a great wood source and they are free, all you have to do is ask.
8. First-aid..they sell first aid kits at wal-mart for 5.00. Hydrogen peroxide works for so many things have several bottles. Vinegar is another thing you should have TO much of. I wont get started with how many things you can do with vinegar, we will save that for another post.
9.Personal Hygiene items..In the move "The book of Eli" (great movie) shampoo was worth more than gold! Soap, lotion, deodorant, tampons or maxi-pads, toothpaste (baking soda and peroxide will clean your teeth too) I have lots of extra soap on hand. If all hell breaks lose I WILL smell good!;)
10. Self-defence.. Guns don't kill people, people kill people and I don't EVER want to hurt someone, but if my kids or hubby was being threatened I would defend my family. Make sure you have a gun and you know how to handle it, and make SURE you have extra ammo. I know some of you are anti gun. If you think that the police are going to protect you in state of panic your a fool! They will be busy protecting there family's.
This is just the tip of the iceberg, however I don't want to overwhelm you. Start small. Thinking about this can be scary, I have peace because I know how the story of earth ends. I have been graciously chosen buy my Creator, I have prayed about my responsibility during these unstable times and I would urge you to do the same. I will be doing "Survival Story" bi-weekly to help you get prepared for our uncertain future- blessings